[GRASS-dev] trac management - was ticket #110

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 13 16:30:41 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
wrote:

> > > Actually, I'd really prefer it if we could keep discussions on the
> > > mailing list. trac can be updated when issues get resolved.
> >

> > The issue is (here) that eg Even Rouault (GDAL developer) who responded
> > the DBF ticket AFAIK does not read the grass-dev list,
>
> There is an archive:
>        http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/

I know, I have maintained it for 10 years meanwhile.
The point is that non-subscribers won't detect postings there
without being pointed to them.

> <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/> > likewise FrankW likely
> prefers tickets over scattered discussion in our archive.

We cannot expect people like him who follow 10+ projects in parallel
to voluntarily scan our archive.

> Would it be possible for trac to automatically add a link for the
> mailing-list thread to the ticket?

In theory yes:
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/EmailtoTracScript

So far, I could not convince Frank to install it.

> > > Right now, my grass-dev folder consists mostly of posts by "GRASS
> > > GIS", with no threading.
> >

> > We can rename it to "GRASS trac" easily (in Admin). Makes more sense.
>

> The point is that it doesn't tell you who actually posted the message.
> This makes it awkward to find a particular message in a long thread.

OK, now I get the point.

We have to check
 http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/macro
 http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/patch
 http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/plugin
for a solution. We may not be the first to have this wish.

> > For me threading works. The headers contain the relevant tags:
>
> All responses are treated as replies to the original report, rather
> than as a reply to a specific message

OK, the same need to check trac modifications for a solution.

Markus