[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Apr 16 10:58:23 EDT 2008

On my way out of town. I have 3 quick comments

1) How the binary installers are packaged should not affect the 6.3.0
release. IMHO, go for it.

2) A separate dependency installer is an excellent idea for Windows. That is
what has been done on the Mac for years and is very successful.

3) Currently, while the wxPython GUI is in development, I think that is is
quite OK to require testers to install Python (and maybe wxPython),
especially since this is quite easy. Ultimately, I would hope that compiling
GRASS would also run Python distutilities (or something like that) to
provide a portable binary GUI that *doesn't* require installing Python or
anything else.

Michael

On 4/16/08 1:50 AM, "grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org"
<grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:47:15 +0200
> From: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released
> To: "marco.pasetti at alice.it" <marco.pasetti at alice.it>
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Marco,
>
> 2008/4/16, marco.pasetti at alice.it <marco.pasetti at alice.it>:
>>> Martin, do you think that we could add the needed python files into the
>>> 6.3.0 windows package, in order to let users start the pyGUI without the
>>> need to install python stuffs by themselves?
>>
>> -1
>>
>> I don't think we should bloat the installer with everything that people
>> might need. It really is not difficult to download and install the
>> python installers...
>>
>> The only thing we could consider is to add an option to automatically
>> download and install the python stuff, but not add it to our installer
>> directly.
>
> I agree here with Moritz. Python/wxPython installation process on
> Windows seems to me to be quite simple. I would not expect that the
> user how is not able to install e.g. Python will be able to use GRASS
> at the end;-)
>
> Martin

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity