[GRASS-dev] New GRASS Icons and Windows

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Mon Apr 21 15:29:58 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I think that there's a small *issue* with the new icons in Windows: I don't
know how is the story on Vista (it seems it's becoming to be a problem
developing on Windows and not having Vista to do tests...), but on XP icons
must come as multiple icons to do a *good job*; on Linux that's not a
problem, but XP just resizes icons and doesn't resample them (and that
matters if they need to be displayed in a size different from the original).
GRASS icons are in 64px size, while windows commonly uses 16 and 32px size.

I usually make icons in multiple format with the following sizes: 16, 24, 32
and 48 px. Using only the 64px size the icons on windows, even at 32px size,
seem less definite and, surely, not beautiful as the originals. I attached
an example that shows how icons appear on windows at 32px size (the most
used, along with 16px size): on the left the original, on the right the
modified version (I resized the original 64px icon to 16,24,32, and 48px
images and saved all as multiple icon).

Best regards,

Marco