[GRASS-dev] Character glyphs

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Thu Apr 24 14:57:51 EDT 2008

Hi!

I've found a few spare moments to work on v.label.sa again, and ran into
  an issue with that d.labels use the actual resolution of the monitor
(which is correct), and in v.label.sa I assumed 100 dpi (which is less ok)

Currently I'm using FT directly but it would be better to use the
display system. Is there a way that I can get glyph info in GRASS, other
then using FT directly? I need to be able to get the height, width X-
and Y bearing (distance from origo) and the advance (distance to the
start of the next letter) of a given letter (in the given font and
size). Also I'd like to be able to convert between pt size and map size.

Is this possible? Or is it possible to get it done some how? If not then
would it then be possible to get the height and width of a box around a
given text string? Preferably the skyline (combined area of boxes around
each letter).

Thanks for your time,
--Wolf

--