[GRASS-dev] d.labels

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 10:26:31 EDT 2008

Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> I have a patch to d.labels that I intend to apply. This patch adds
> support for positioning the label _exactly_ on the co-ordinated given
> in the labels file. The reason I need this is that v.label.sa
> calculates precise locations for labels, and naturally I want the
> labels to be placed exactly on that point.
>
> Feel free to comment on the patch. Next I need to look at how ps.map
> positions labels...

I seem to recall looking at merging "NONE" into d.labels/ps.map when you
were last working on v.labels.sa, and deciding that it was not
appropriate for unremembered reasons.

Could you explain how none,none differs from center,center?
is it meant to be exactly lower,left of the first glyph? what if that is
a "-"? (eg elev=-100)

> Please see [1] for example screenshots.
> [1] http://wolf.bergenheim.net/src/GRASS/v.label.sa

yes, something is wrong there but I am pretty sure I had label placement
working correctly for all refs, so there is some mystery? e.g. do those
labels include a newline which is making it into a 2 line label? well I
don't think it is that, but something is odd. I did a lot of work in the
past to make the placement correct. Especially the US-1 touching the road
I think I would have caught. I did do some rotation and placement fixes
after v.label.sa was started, and I don't think they were merged to .sa,
so fyi don't consider v.label.sa without overlap turned on == v.label.

Anyway, please give me the week to investigate and remember about it
before committing the patches; ps.map too. Maybe it will be ok but I want
to convince myself first.

I had hoped one day when you were happy to call v.label.sa "finished" we
could merge them and make non-overlapping labels mode a -flag of v.label.

thanks,
Hamish