[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 11:50:05 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,

2008/4/27 Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
> Martin
>
>  Maybe I misunderstand this process, but I'm confused by this suggestion.

the reason is to avoid having wxGUI source code in two different
places (trunk and develbranch_6). Then we would be forced to backport
relevant changes from trunk to develbranch_6, etc. Note that changes
in grass7 codebase (now trunk) make in the first period grass7 quite
unusable/highly unstable (from the user's point of view). There is no
need to have wxGUI in trunk in that period. You can always copy
gui/wxpython from develbranch_6 to your local copy of trunk. After
releasing 6.4 and having trunk (grass7) a bit stable the wxGUI code
will be copied to trunk and development of wxGUI will continue in
grass7.

The current wxGUI development is focused on 6.4. From this point of
view I suggest to have wxGUI code only in develbranch_6 for that
period.

>  Why take the wxPython GUI out of the GRASS 7 trunk? My understanding is that
>  we can develop for 6.4 in the 6.4 branch, and as needed develop for 7 in
>  that branch. Because the GUI operates at a relatively high level--i.e.,
>  simply a wrapper for GRASS commands in most cases, there will be much that
>  can simply be done in parallel or via porting across branches

The problem here is that trunk will be highly unstable when
development of grass7 starts. I just would like to avoid to have wxGUI
code in two places for that period. Well, wxGUI development can remain
in trunk, but then it should be removed from develbranch_6 -- to avoid
backporting issue. In this perspective it is better move wxGUI
development to develbranch_6. Moreover there will be
releasebranch_6_4.

>  My suggestion would be to take /gui/tcltk out of trunk and leave
>  /gui/wxpython in. It's the TclTk interface that is going away.
>
>  Related to that, I guess we need to think about where the wxPython NVIZ
>  replacement you are starting to work on will go--6.4 or 7?

I think at least in the next months (may-august) to develop wxNVIZ in
develbranch_6 (regardless when releasebranch_64 will be created).

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *