[GRASS-dev] NAD projection issue

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Apr 27 13:23:46 EDT 2008

Some of my students have been having intermittent, strange problems
reprojecting. They¹ve received errors that there are no projection
parameters. I sent in a report a couple months back but neither I nor others
have been able to replicate this in a consistent way.

I may have figured out what is happening. I think it¹s a problem with NAD
and Windows. I don¹t remember the reason, but there needs to be special
treatment of NAD projections at build time. I think it¹s because the
projection information is stored in a special file and not in the normal
PROJ data file. When I compile on my Mac, I need to ...

export NAD2BIN=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Programs/nad2bin

...before compiling to make sure that I get proper information for NAD
projections.

In fact, it seems like it is necessary to call a linux/unix program to
handle NAD projections and that this may not be available in Windows. I
wonder if this is not happening with the native Windows build and causing
problems when the students use locations with NAD projections.

Does this make sense?

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity