[GRASS-dev] Re: wxGUI: edit button

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Aug 3 12:31:03 EDT 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> > I am just checking out r32469. Thanks for the fixes!
> >
> > What I don't like so much is 'edit' button, I don't see any reason for
> > that button, it just simulates right-click -- pop-up menu. Also dialog
> > for changing opacity is not necessary in my eyes - switching from text
> > to spin mode seems to me being better. Just subjective point of
> > view...
>
> Right-click contextual menus are fine and very handy. However, widely
> accepted interface standards call for also exposing functions in
> contextual menus visually in some way--in a menu, button, or other
> control--for several reasons. Right-click functions are visually
> hidden. To 'discover' them, a users needs to click all over an
> interface to see what parts respond and what parts do not.

It's generally considered good practice to have menus which don't
change according to context. Instead, the menu always has the same set
of options, but those which cannot be used in a given context are
insensitive. Also, entries which lead to a submenu are never
insensitive, only leaf entries. This way, the user can always see the
entire set of menu options.

It has also been suggested that there should be a simple way to
discover *why* a menu option is greyed out, either via its tooltip or
by displaying an information dialog if a greyed-out entry is chosen.
However, implementing this is easier in some toolkits than others.