[GRASS-dev] Re: iostream issues (formerly r.viewshed ready for testing)

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 12:45:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Will wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Yes, I am using the updated tarball that you sent me, and I'm getting the
> same errors, regardless of if ami.h (the header for iostream) is included in
> distribute.cc or not.

That seems to just be a coincidence. If I copy the ami_stream.h from the
version of iostream that you included with r.viewshed into
include/iostream (and run make in the top level directory so that this
gets copied into the correct location for compilation), the compilation of
r.viewshed gets a lot further, albeit with a lot of warnings.

Basically the issue seems to be that the version of iostream that you
have been working with is quite different from the version that
r.terraflow uses. In particular, the licence statement is different
(includes Duke University advertising clause) and there is a comment
  * PEARL upgrades: Rajiv Wickremesinghe 2004, 2005

I don't know what PEARL is, but other than that do you know (or can find
out) are the updates by Rajiv Wickremesinghe significant to the
functionality, and should they be included in GRASS to work with
r.terraflow as well? I notice some comments around the code initialled RW
which suggest there are a lot of little changes all over the place.

I guess what we need to find out is how important these are, and should
they be merged into GRASS. Or, a simpler solution would be can you make
r.viewshed work with the version of iostream in GRASS. The alternative is
having separate versions of the iostream library for the two modules which
is really ugly IMHO.

Good luck,

Paul