[GRASS-dev] question about icons in GRASS 7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 5 16:38:55 EDT 2008

A question has come up about the future home of icons in GRASS 7.

Long ago, there were few icons and they lived in $GISBASE/bwidget and
$GISBASE/etc/tcltkgrass.

As we came to have a full-fledged GUI, we had a great icon move
several years ago that put them into $GISBASE/etc/gui/icons

Somewhere along the way, with an improvement in GRASS docs and the
addition of graphic elements to doc pages, a set of icons is now
recreated in $GISBASE/docs/html/icons

With wxPython, we have been experimenting with alternative icon sets
(a 'silk' set in addition to the 'classic' GRASS set), and a new set
is in development. At first, the silk icons were put into $GISBASE/
icons/silk. But this year, these were moved to $GISBASE/docs/html/
icons/silk.

Currently, in trunk, the legacy TclTk interface and the wxPython
interface in 'classic' mode, uses GRASS icons in $GISBASE/etc/gui/
icons. When the silk icon set is selected in the new wxGUI, it uses
the icons in $GISBASE/docs/html/icons/silk.

In the docs called from wxGUI, you can see both the classic and silk
icons, drawn from $GISBASE/docs/html/icons and $GISBASE/docs/html/
icons/silk.

Martin and I agree that all the icons should be put into one place.
The question is where. The original place identified for GUI icon sets
was $GISBASE/etc/gui/icons. However, Martin points out that there is a
real convenience factor for doc page creation to have them in $GISBASE/
docs/html/icons. In either place, we should probably have a structure
like ../icons/grass; ../icons/silk; ../icons/newgrass; etc.

I have no problem with the $GISBASE/docs/html/icons location but
wanted to see if there are any other considerations we should keep in
mind as to where the GRASS 7 icon archive should live.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University