[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sat Aug 9 18:13:52 EDT 2008

Martin Landa pisze:
> 2008/8/9 Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl>:

>> In GRASS there is already a term "key column" (the column that links the
>> category number with the table row). Since terms "field" and "column"
>> are sometimes used interchangeably, and term "key column" is already a
>> part of GRASS terminology, using "keyfield" for something different will
>> lead to confussion.
>>
>> May I suggest "table link" in place of the current "layer" then? So each
>> vector map can have multilpe "table links", and each "table" can have
>> it's own "key column".

> nice idea, "table link" or "dblink" make sense to me.

Hmm, "dblink"... "db" seems a shortname for "database" rather than
"table", and the two are different things. Maybe "tbllink" for a
shortname would do better?

>> As to "voxel" and aliases (i.e. "3D raster", "G3D", "volume", "GRID3D",
>> "3d cell") - could we just stick to "3d raster layer"? A little longish,
>> but plain obvious and conforms to "(2d) raster layer", "(2d/3d) vector
>> layer".
>
> +1 for 3d raster layer

> BTW which elements we can discard in GRASS7?
>
> rast  OK
> rast3d  OK
> vect - OK

All are fine.

> oldvect - ?

Remove?

> asciivect - ?

I'd keep it as "GRASS ASCII vector" format is still there.

> icon - ?
> labels - ?

These seem still valid and in use I guess.

> sites - remove?

+1

> region

region is OK.

> region3d - should be removed

+1

> group - OK

Yup.

> 3dview - remove?, no support for TCL/TK Nviz ?

?

Maciek

--
Maciej Sieczka