[GRASS-dev] 7.x Status Update

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 17:47:07 EDT 2008

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, William Kyngesburye wrote:

[...]
> - cairo also requires fontconfig to be used with freetype.  GRASS is handling
> font paths and configuration itself, so I don't see the point of this.  I
> built fonconfig for my old library binaries once, but it was never used in
> the GIS packages and there were some build problems (I forget what), so I
> removed it.  OSX X11 has fontconfig (and freetype), but I don't want to
> depend on an X11 installation on OSX.

ISTR a report that g.mkfontcap found some fonts on OS X that fontconfig
didn't detect (that was a pleasant surprise at the time). Is that still
the case and, if so, is it relevant? Probably avoiding too much "DIY" is
best - if g.mkfontcap just duplicates what fontconfig does it can be done
away with and Cairo can find the fonts itself - but OTOH it does seem to
have worked very well as a cross-platform solution to finding available
fonts.

Paul