[GRASS-dev] 7.x Status Update

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Aug 13 03:49:48 EDT 2008

On 13/08/08 00:43, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>>> Can you get the GUI to display the exact commands being used, and
>>> check whether the problem exists when the command is run from the
>>> shell?
>> Nope, everything runs fine from the shell, with e.g. the following command:
>>
>> d.vect map=boundary_county at PERMANENT color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
>> fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape type=point,line,boundary,area
>> icon=basic/circle size=5 layer=1 lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1
>
> This produces a blank image with the cairo driver, but works with the
> PNG driver. I'll look into it today.

So this means that I've been working with the PNG driver ?
IIUC, to switch to cairo, I have to set GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=cairo ?

>> Idem with a line layer:
>>
>> d.vect map=elev_contour_3m at PERMANENT color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
>> fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape
>> type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face icon=basic/circle size=5
>> layer=1 lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1
>
> ERROR: Vector map <elev_contour_3m at PERMANENT> not found

Sorry, must have created that one myself, don't know how this slipped
into PERMANENT.
But it was the same for any line layer.

Everything works perfectly now. Thanks !

>> works perfectly on the command line, but cannot display in either gui.
>> What I do see, though is a straight vertical line at the far right of
>> the display area.
>
> I suspect that's just the code which draws a border around the current
> frame.

Now that you put my nose onto it, yes, I can see it in the PNG images
also. However, it only shows on the bottom and right, not top and left
sides.

Anyhow, do we really want a border to be drawn by default ?

>>> It is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the PNG driver, but
>>> there may well be factors which I have overlooked.
>> So, nothing else but PNG for now ?
>
> It supports PPM/PGM, BMP (32-bpp, can be mapped) and PNG image
> formats, as well as PDF, PS and SVG vector formats, and output to an
> X11 drawable. I haven't tested the last one, but all of the file
> output cases work. For the above test case, the vector formats work
> even without the centroids.

Works beautifully.

Might be nice option for the GUI: render everything which is listed for
display in the Display window into an svg or ps file...

Moritz