[GRASS-dev] online GRASS GIS DB

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Thu Aug 14 03:11:33 EDT 2008

Hello chris,

chris carleton <w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com>, [20080813 - 16:13:35]

> Hi all,
>
> I appreciate the time anyone takes to respond to this one. I want to
> create an online GIS database from which users can access, download,
> analyze, and submit (after review) spatial data. I would like to use
> GRASS and a Unix based server for all of this. Ideally, there would
> just be a webpage with a username password requirement rather than
> distributing an anonymous account to interested parties (so that
> folks really only have access to the GIS database and nothing else on
> the server - also much more user friendly for non-unix users). I've
> never created a database that is accessible from a website (and never
> a relational geo-spatial database). Am I going to be able to use
> GRASS in this way and can anyone provide me with some references to
> get started or perhaps a currently operational example that is using
> GRASS? Essentially, what do I need to know and how do I get GRASS to
> work with a database online - just a readling list or some websites
> to get me started would be apprecitated as my googling hasn't been
> particularly fruitfull thus far. Thanks again,

Let me bring PostGIS[1] as a database-backend in play. You can use the
(vector)-data from PostGIS in GRASS using OGR-bindings. One great
benefit is that you do not need to worry about the database-stiff since
it is based on a relational PostgreSQL-server.

To offer analyzing data you could think about using some OGC-services
like WPS, especially PyWMS, which also works nicly with GRASS.

But perhaps the way glynn pointed out might work for you too.

Best regards

	Stephan Holl

[1] http://www.postgis.org
[2] http://pywps.wald.intevation.org
--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de>, http://intevation.de/~stephan
Tel: +49 (0)541-33 50 8 32 | Intevation GmbH | AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998