[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #254: wxpython Layer Manager: higher raster hides the lower (GRASS GIS)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 14 13:22:06 EDT 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:41 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> -----------------------
> +----------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  giohappy  |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>      Type:  defect    |      Status:  closed
> Component:  wxGUI     |     Version:  svn-develbranch6
> Resolution:  fixed     |    Keywords:
>  Platform:  Linux     |         Cpu:  x86-32
> -----------------------
> +----------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by martinl):
>
> Replying to [comment:2 giohappy]:
>> I think the mistake is the fact that in the wxGUI the raster is
> displayed without -o flag as default, as it is in the tcltk GUI.
>
> You can change default settings in GUI Preferences dialog, tab
> "Command",
> "Raster settings". I am not quite sure if '--o' should be defaut for
> d.rast as it is in TCL/TK GUI.

I think that the default behavior of d.rast and the subsequent
addition of the -o flag is an historical artifact of the days before
GRASS rasters had null support. At that time, "0" values could mean a
values of 0 OR null values. Or nulls could be indicated by other
values like -999.

Now that there is null support for rasters, the default behavior of
rasters should be that nulls are transparent during overlays, although
the option to make them opaque should be retained.

The -o flag is additionally problematic in that it is very similar to
the --o flag which means "overwrite" in other contexts. We will need
to keep the -o flag for the GRASS 6 series, but I would recommend
changing it to something else for GRASS 7. Do we need to keep opaque
nulls the default for GRASS 6?

In the GUI, I recommend making the -o flag the default behavior in the
preferences and allowing users to turn it off if they desire. I
suspect that most people expect (and want) nulls to be transparent by
default--unless they are experienced GRASS users who already know
about this historical artifact.

Michael

Michael