[GRASS-dev] some questions about future development

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 04:25:30 EDT 2008

Hi to everyone.
In the last period I've been working a lot with GRASS for my daily job, and
it permitted me to develop a series of wishes for the future...
I will share them in the GRASS 7 ideas collection but I would like to ask
some questions before:

VECTORS

1 - OGR datasources: one important GIS functionality in daily work is the
possibility to access shapefiles, and other simple feature datas (PostGIS,
Oracle Spatial, etc.) directly, without having to import them and/or
building the topology. Many times these datas are simply used for
visualization (geometries and attributes), or table attributes management...
I've seen it is already in the Radim's TODO list [1].
Is it a priority in GRASS 7 development, or it is left as a minor
enhancement?

2 - geometry highlighting: when selecting features from the attributes table
(wxGUI), it would be nice to make the geometries highlighted in the map
window... See next section.

3 - vectors/thematic vectors: it happens only in GRASS that these two are
separated. Wouldn't be better to merge into a single display command with
thmatic styiling as options?

MAP CANVAS

the user experience with the maps should be enhanced:

1 - when zooming, incremental resolution would be nice (pyramids for
rasters?)
2 - when panning, only the new areas should be added (a sort of tiling)
3 - geometry selection (like with "identify" tools, or polygonal selection
tools) ->view selected features inside the table attributes, and viceversa

I know it is quite distant from the actual display architecture, but it
would be an important improvement from my point of view...
Do you think it will be feasible considering the rodmap you've planned?

Ok, it's enough for now. I would have many other proposals, but I will share
them in the future :)

Giovanni

[1]
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/doc/vector/TODO?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup