[GRASS-dev] Re: WinGRASS localization

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 05:02:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Marco Pasetti wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
>> How to run WinGRASS with non-english interface?
>> I tried different methods without success.
>> http://www.nabble.com/-GRASS5--Re%3A--GRASSLIST%3A5600--How-to-start-GRASS-in-another-language--p8590987.html
>
>> sincerely,
>> --
>> Robert Szczepanek
>
> I'm not sure about it, but I suppose that the locale var settings need GRASS
> built with NLS support... that is currently unsupported in MS-Windows.

Do you mean without installing extra software? Using the NLS packages on
GnuWin32 it works fine and I had it working successfully on my local
machine 8 months ago. It didn't require any modifications to the GRASS
source. As far as I remember all that was required was to set the LANG
environment variable (right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced,
Environment Variables), e.g. setting LANG to "de" gave messages in German.

Paul