[GRASS-dev] Fwd: [GRASS-user] GRASS Image Processing Environment

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 22 11:47:27 EDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> There has been some discussion over what the GRASS 7 imaging
> processing tools should include, given that a couple key modules (I
> think i.orthophoto and i.classify) need substantial rewriting.
>
> We might want to think about including some or all of the GIPE tool
> kit. I've looked at this briefly and it seems like a useful set of
> modules to add to the rather slim set of tools specifically aimed at
> image processing (a lot of image processing can be done with the
> generic raster tools).  See below for more information and links.

I very much agree with Michael. Maybe somebody actively working in
image processing could look
  at the list of the modules and provide some feedback whether all
should be included or a subset of most
important ones or maybe some modules could be merged?
The GIPE r. modules are definitely useful for environmental and land
management applications
- the traditional field that GRASS was designed for.

My only concern is that the number of modules is large and may be
difficult manage.
If the modules or their subset are included I propose to give Yann
full SVN access
so that he can maintain the code.

Helena