[GRASS-dev] testing results of r.watershed2 against old r.watershed

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 2 23:20:29 EST 2008

I very much agree with Hamish:

 >it is really nice to have two independent methods to use & race
against
 >each other, and compare the results of. ie apply the scientific
method.
 >Each will have its strength and weaknesses and now we can quantify
more
 >what those are.

I am a big proponent and user of r.watershed, especially for stream
extraction and watershed delineation  at lower resolutions (30-90m),
mostly due to its  unique algorithm for overflowing depressions,
which is among the most robust and accurate because it is not doing
the standard pit filling. However, its D8 flow direction algorithm
makes it less suitable for modeling at higher resolutions where it
creates artificial pattern of parallel lines as seen in examples
posted by Hamish (btw some of the parallel line features may also be
due to the flats created by use of integers in r.watershed).
r.watershed works well with SRTM data which are rather noisy, helping
to avoid the parallel lines to some extent.
Another example where r.watershed does not produce usable results is
here:
http://www.grassbook.org/gallery/chapters/s050404f070_flow.jpg
a) is by r.watershed

Adding one of the MFD algorithms with an optional switch to SFD for
given accumulation threshold might help to make the results of
r.watershed useful to those applications that require decent
representation of flow dispersion on convex hillslope forms and avoid
some of the artifacts.

One of the reason we have included DEMs ranging from 30m resolution
to 2m resolution in the NC data set was to provide examples of how
the different flow routing modules available in GRASS behave and how
to select which one to use based on the data and task at hand.

Helena

P.S. and a small addition to the color table discussion - uniform
interval indeed rarely works
unless you want to have all your streams and rivers colored a single
color - the color table from  Hamish is quite clever and provides a
good way how to display more info abut the size of streams.
I found that both -e and log color tables worked pretty well for the
nc_spm data, -e was good for applications where distribution on
hillslopes was of interest, log helped to highlight the streams:
see slides 18 and 19 here
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/lteachtest/GIS_anal_lecture/
GIS_Anal_Lvisual.ppt