[GRASS-dev] r.watershed, r.terraflow

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:23:33 EST 2008

sent again for the list

Switching to grass-dev

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Talking about SVN access - how about granting full SVN access to
> Markus Metz to work on r.watershed in GRASS7
> - he has not officially requested it but he expressed interest in it
> and Markus N. encouraged him to post an official request.

Following the discussion on Colin's request, I'm both a bit confused and
undecided. I think I will supply patches until developers get bored with
applying my patches (procedure suggested by Hamish). But it would help
me if I would have one or two mentors/developers with an interest in
watershed analysis available also for off-list discussion about the
little technical details.

> Getting his latest improvements into GRASS7 would make it easier to
> test and we may be able to retire r.terraflow
> if his version works well for large DEMs.

IMO, no matter if r.watershed processes large DEMS in reasonable time
and has support for MFD, I would opt to keep r.terraflow because the
results are different and an alternative, because it is really fast for
very large DEMS and because the programming approach is very different,
very complex and surely of interest for other developers.

Markus M