[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS Version for Release

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:37:47 EST 2008

Dear friends,

> the release candidate becomes pressing now.
> Or QGIS 1.0 (Windows, MacOSX) will be shipped with 6.3.0 which I
> would pretty much dislike.

Today I started to work on the new MinGW environment for both GRASS and
QGIS.
>From today I'll abandon GRASS 6.3.0 building, moving my attention to 6.4 and
7.
I decided to split the GRASS builds into:

- Official WinGRASS (itself splitted into: 6.4-RCs, 6.4-dev and 7-dev, both
based on trunk)
- GRASS for QGIS

also because of many other dependencies, such as Tcl/Tk and wxWidgets, that
are not needed in the QGIS GRASS Plugin.

There are many items in my To-Do list, and the chaotic and confused
situation of the current MinGW project could take a lot of time before to
fix them all.
This said (sorry for the long preamble), I can imagine the following
scenario, based on the fact that the QGIS 1.0 call for packaging is set on
12/20:

A. ship qgis with grass-6.3.0, planning future package upgrades with the
6.4-RCs
B. ship qgis with 6.4-RC1, even if a RC1 branch before 12/20 would not mean
that I'll be able to compile a working set (of both QGIS and GRASS 6.4-RC1)
in time for the release.

Just my 2 cents :)

Regards,

MP