[GRASS-dev] Scripting programming: directory structure of GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 01:09:42 EST 2008

roberto.marzocchi wrote:
> I'm writing a script for Grass.
> I've a problem with the directory structure of GRASS.
>
> I know where is the place of script: ($GISBASE/scripts).
> But my script use some fortran-codes, I compile
> this codes with gfortran, and I don't know where's the correct
> directory for the executable compiled.

$GRASS_ADDON_PATH is a nice place to put your own scripts. Set and
export it in ~/.grass.bashrc. Using that has a couple of advantages:

- it's a nice clean solution, like /usr/local/ on a UNIX system
- if you upgrade your version of grass you won't wipe out your personal
add-ons along with `rm $GISBASE`.
- a user might not have root access on their machine so can not put
something into the read-only $GISBASE/scripts/ directory.

see 'g.manual variables' for $GRASS_ADDON_PATH
see also $GRASS_ADDON_ETC

Hamish