[GRASS-dev] erratic behavior of v.in.ascii with WinGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 5 07:44:18 EST 2008

On 05/02/08 06:00, Michael Barton wrote:
> Hi Helena,
>
> It looks like the '|' is partly to blame, but not entirely.
>
> If I use the original file with missmatched numbers of fields between
> records AND use the '|' separator, I have trouble on my Mac.
>
> However, if I fix the file so that all records have the same number of
> fields (keeping '|' as separator) OR I leave the file with messed up
> fields but replace '|' with ',' it works fine.
>
> So it seems more a problem of reading the '|' separator in the text file
> in some circumstances than it does having it in the command string.

Just to make sure: I don't think Helena meant that the '|' as separator
causes any problems. It's the fact that you use

v.in.ascii input=/Users/cmbarton/schools_el_lu.txt output=schools_lu
format=point fs=| skip=0 x=1 y=2 z=0 cat=3

with fs=| where | is unquoted and thus interpreted as pipe command.

Moritz