[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] build grass on osx 10.5-leopard (can't find opengl lib)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Feb 9 17:24:28 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> As explained in the macosx readme
>> i need to modify the files :
>>
>> grass_trunk/include/Make/Platform.make.in
>> grass_trunk/configure
>>
>> what i done :
>>
>> in Platform.make.in changed the line 160 to :
>>
>> OPENGLLIB           = -dylib_file /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib:/usr/X11/
>> lib/libGL.dylib -undefined dynamic_lookup
>>

>> but in the file :
>>
>> configure
>>
>> here i'm having problems to undstand what needs a modify, i tried to
>> replace all the :
>>
>> 		 " -lGL "
>>
>> with :
>>
>> 		"  -dylib_file /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib:/usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib "
>>
>> or
>>
>> 		" -/usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib:/usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib "
>>
>> ....or again :
>>
>> 		" -/usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib "
>>

>> but  the  ./configure ... ...   fail
>>
>> 		configure: error: *** Unable to locate OpenGL library.
>>
>> obviously (apologize me for these) i'm wrong to modify the configure
>> file.

You left out the "-undefined dynamic_lookup" in the replacement.  And
be sure to find with a "whole words" option (ie in TextWrangler/
BBEdit), or it will find other things it shouldn't.

> If configure can't detect OpenGL itself, use --without-opengl then
> modify include/config.h and include/Make/Platform.make once configure
> has finished.

Hmm, that's sounds like a better option than messing around with
configure. (grr, I hope Apple fixes their linker soon.)

I'll look into the details that would be needed.

PS. I have a bug report for this on the GForge tracker:

http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=536&group_id=21&atid=204

More of an informational bug, really, since it's an Apple linker
problem.  But if Apple can't fix it soon, a workaround in configure
may be necessary.