[GRASS-dev] Re: g.gui

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 00:44:56 EST 2008

Martin Landa wrote:
>   4. write g.gui module (draft)
>
> g.gui now in trunk (not compiled by default)

Hi,

I made a few changes; e.g. added a flag to skip resetting the default.
It's a good start.

some comments:

I am not sure of what the logic is supposed to be if the current
GRASS_GUI setting was "text" or unset? Why bother with that at all?
The type= answer has to be one of the GUIs.
Note that strcmp() returns 0 if the strings are the same.
??

Also that calls G_store() before G_parser(), and G_store() calls
G_malloc() which can call G_fatal_error(), which must not be called
before G_parser() has been called.

is type= the best word to use as the option name?
  gui=? start=? (like d.mon)   launch=?  ???= ?

Can the wxgui startup take a saved project file as a command line
option like d.m and gis.m? (dmrc=)

If so, once the command-line is built, use G_spawn() instead of
G_system()?
Even though d.m and gis.m fork themselves off, 'g.gui --ui' sticks in
"Run" mode until it finishes. (I don't know if that's harmless or not,
and if fork() would change that)

> > >    5. copy wxgui script to $GISBASE/etc/wxpython (not to
> > > $GISBASE/scripts)
>
> I think we can do this step too (before 6.3.0/1), just to test now
> g.gui module.

Thinking again about what to name that- as it is a grass program
shouldn't we try for some "g.module" style name?  {m|d|g}.wxgui?

Hamish