[GRASS-dev] GRASS ./configure options

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 14 17:36:54 EST 2008

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:

> 1) for many libraries, I sometimes have dlls both in /bin and /lib;
> how can tell to configure to search in both?

All of the --with-*-includes and --with-*-libs switches accept a list
of directories, separated by spaces, e.g.

	./configure ... --with-libs='/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin'

However, many DLLs have the DLL in .../bin with a matching import
library in .../lib; in that case, you only need to specify the .../lib
directory.

> for example, I have freetype dll in /bin but zlib and others in /lib;

Note that you don't need to specify the default directories (/lib,
/bin, /include, which are aliased to /usr/lib etc) explicitly. The
compiler and linker will search those directories automatically.

> while freetypes headers are in /include/freetype2/freetype (I used Paul's WinGRASS-Extralibs, simply unpacking his package in /usr/local)
>
> 2) wiki says --with-opengl=windows, while ./configure --help says just --with-opengl=yes or no; what should I do?

Use --with-opengl=windows. What the --help output actually says is:

  --with-opengl           support OpenGL functionality (default: yes)

The default is "yes", which is an alias for "x11". Allowed values for
--with-opengl= are:

	n,no
	y,yes,x,x11,glx
	aqua,mac,osx,macosx,agl
	win,windows,mswin,wgl

For native windows OpenGL, use any of: win,windows,mswin,wgl.

> 3) wiki says --disable-x11 and --without-x; --without-x is ok, while
> in ./configure --help I don't find x11 option; it says, instead,
> --enable (or --disable) --w11, that is not the same! thus I decided
> to type --disable-w11; is that right?

--disable-x11 is bogus. It may be a typo for --disable-w11, but that's
the default. --enable-w11 provides a version of XDRIVER which uses the
native Win32 API (GDI etc) instead of X, but display drivers only work
under Cygwin (they require Unix-style sockets; WinSock doesn't work).