[GRASS-dev] GRASS in a usability review

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 13:42:45 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:
> I remember a year or so ago, a users made a very good suggestion that

> we not have menus more than 2 levels deep and that menu item names
> should be shorter. This was difficult to do, given GRASS's
> complexity. But having done it, I think it helped usability a lot.

from the "hey, life's a compromise, do the best you can" department:

but try and balance that against the "platoon rule"; each sublayer in
the hierarchy should have no more than 12 subordinates. Beyond that it
becomes overwhelming to keep track of and quickly navigate through.
I guess groups of modules separated by horizontal line breaks within a
single menu could help with the compromise.

Hamish