[GRASS-dev] Building gui/wxpython/vdigit fails on Gentoo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 18:16:23 EST 2008

Martin:
> anyway usage of wxPseudoDC class can causes problems during
> compilation process. If we don't find reasonably good approach I will
> take a look how to eliminate wxPseudoDC in vdigit C++ code (use wxDC
> instead). I would prefer to use wxPseudoDC.

wx 3.0 is due out soon* so a solution is already in the pipeline and
will arrive before we /really/ need it (6.4.0).

The new GUI is clearly indicated as a work in progress- we can put in
the announcement that users who want to try wxGUI should study the
README file and expect some bumps. The work-around for wx2.8 is just a
one liner not some major recompile or installation.

Thus for my 2c, if you prefer to use wxPseudoDC then stay with it, and
focus on the long term goal of 6.4.0. Why sacrifice your valuable
energy & a better code-path to get around short term (small) problems
which are already fixed upstream?

[*]
http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2007/11/looking-forward-to-wxwidgets-3.html

Hamish