[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r30246 - grass/trunk/lib/gis

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Thu Feb 21 12:08:31 EST 2008

[...]

 >>> Or just omit it.

 >>> AFAIK, a specific notice of copyright isn't particularly meaningful
 >>> any more.

[...]

 >> The notices like this are very convenient for the ones ``curious''
 >> of the conditions under which the file can be used.

 >> They're of exceptional value for the free software, since they
 >> explicitly allow the code to be modified and distributed.  Without
 >> such a notice (either in COPYING, or in the file), the file cannot
 >> be either modified or distributed at all.

 > Oh, I'm not against including the GPL boilerplate: "This program is
 > free software ...".

 > But adding an explicit "(C) <date> <author>" line isn't useful, IMHO.

	Actually, I'm in doubt whether the GPL notice will have any
	legal value without the proper ``(C)'' line.  Unless someone
	relieve me of this concern, I'd prefer to put this line as I've
	been doing before.

 > And it's impossible for a program to accurately determine the date
 > and author.

	It's a known hassle.  Unfortunately, the price of not caring
	about the stuff like this properly is the freedom.

 > So I don't see any point worrying about the problems involved in
 > creating that particular line if there's no point in even having it.

[...]