[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r30246 - grass/trunk/lib/gis

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Fri Feb 22 06:29:20 EST 2008

[...]

 >>> Actually, I'm in doubt whether the GPL notice will have any legal
 >>> value without the proper ``(C)'' line.  Unless someone relieve me
 >>> of this concern, I'd prefer to put this line as I've been doing
 >>> before.

 >> Just how many times do I have to explain it to you?

 >> If you don't understand copyright, consult a lawyer.

 > Just to plead for the ignorant here ;-):

 > http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-howto.html

 > There is an explicit mention of a copyright line:

 > "Whichever license you plan to use, the process involves adding two
 > elements to each source file of your program: a copyright notice
 > (such as ⌠Copyright 1999 Terry Jones■), and a statement of
 > copying permission, saying that the program is distributed under the
 > terms of the GNU General Public License (or the Lesser GPL)."

	Thanks for bringing it here, that's the very point of my
	concern.

	I know that the absence of the ``copyright'' line won't
	invalidate my copyright.  I'm concerned that the absence of such
	a line may invalidate the /copying permissions/ stated in the
	file, thus rendering the file non-redistributable and
	non-modifiable (except by its author.)