[GRASS-dev] Manpage HTML markup consistency

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:31:45 EST 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > I wonder if now would be a good time to investgate the use of CSS in the
> > man pages. If we define a couple types of "container" objects (<div>,
> > and feel of the manual pages.
>
> If you're going to overhaul the documentation, I suggest going all the
> way and using something which is intended to be used as a source for
> multiple formats (at least HTML and nroff, with one or more of TeX,
> PDF and PostScript as options), e.g. DocBook.

Right-- this was the thought, although block-level CSS seemed like a middle
ground.

I am not familiar with DocBook, but here is a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocBook

There is a Debian package called 'docbook-defguide' which looks like it
contains much good information, saved (on my system) here:
/usr/share/doc/docbook-defguide/html/docbook.html

It would be nice to have the option of converting the base manual into one's
favorite format: Man pages, HTML, LateX, PDF, etc.

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory