[GRASS-dev] winGRASS 6.3.0RC5 errors

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:01:28 EST 2008

Ciao,

2008/2/28, marco.pasetti at alice.it <marco.pasetti at alice.it>:
[snip]
> 2) If I start grass63 from MSYS it's ok, while if I start with -wxpython it
> says
>
> $ grass63 -wxpython
> WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 6.3.0RC5         2008
>    1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials
>    2) When working on your location, the following materials
>       are extremely useful:
>       - A topo map of your area
>       - Current catalog of available computer maps
>    3) Check the GRASS webpages for feedback mailinglists and more:
>       http://www.grass-gis.org
>       http://grass.osgeo.org
> Hit RETURN to continue
> Starting GRASS ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/MSYS/local/grass-6.3.0RC5/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 688, in
> <module>
>     import gui_modules.gcmd as gcmd
>   File
> "C:\MSYS\local\grass-6.3.0RC5\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\gcmd.py",
> line 38, in <module>
>     from win32file import ReadFile, WriteFile
> ImportError: No module named win32file
> Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
> Switching to text mode now.
> Hit RETURN to continue...

hm, not surprising, since win32file is not part of Python windows
package by default (AFAIK). Sorry for ignorance, did you make some
notes somewhere about installation process on Windows, I found [1,2].
It seems to me that after the years I have reason to install Windows
and try to make wxGUI working also here. I just want to avoid
struggling with installation;-)

Regards, Martin

[1] http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Installation
[2] http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status