[GRASS-dev] Re: 'g.gui wxpython' won't work in wingrass as wxgui is a shell script

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 00:45:24 EST 2008

Michael:
> > bashisms common in GRASS

Ivan:
> As Bash becomes somewhat less popular in the GNU world and being
> replaced by other POSIX-compatible Shells, it makes sense to get
> rid of bashisms irrespective of the platform.

FWIW all known bashisms were removed prior to GRASS 6.2.2.
This is mostly because Ubuntu now uses dash for /bin/sh and a lot of
folks use Ubuntu. Anything left needing bash explicitly uses
#!/bin/bash

Michael has a point in that GRASS heavily relies on UNIX shell scripts,
which is ok for Mac (after fixing GNUisms) but not for MS Windows.
Msys, mingw, and cygwin exist but are in the end all just different
ways of putting lipstick on a pig.

> Well, I've heard of Python, but don't know it.

for some things it will be easier, for others not. e.g. for shell
command scripting nothing will ever be as good as sh, but for more
complex programming python will be better. It's just a matter of
choosing a compromise. e.g. for your g.mlist example sh is hard to
beat. But for something complex like r.in.wms or v.in.garmin, sh just
isn't the right tool for the job.

for a quick primer see:
  10 minutes Python tutorial for programmers of other languages
  http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python

Hamish