R: R: [GRASS-dev] winGRASS 6.3.0RC5 errors

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Feb 29 03:45:27 EST 2008

Hi Marco,

On 28/02/08 23:12, marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> Hi Moritz,
>
>  >Try erasing your .grassrc6 file and see what happens.
> It worked! Thanks... But why that???? Mah...

A corrupt .grassrc6 file can lead to errors. Don't know what happens on
the other OS's in that case...

> Then I have other (actually stupid) questions:
>
> 1) why the last line of grass63.bat is "%WINGISBASE%\etc\init.bat" %*
> and not "%WINGISBASE%\etc\init.bat" ? What is the last %* ?

This serves to pass on any command line parameters you call the
grass63.bat with.

> 2) in /src/grass-6.3.0RC5/dist.i686-pc-mingw32 I have more files than in
> /local/grass-6.3.0RC5
> the more I have is: GPL.txt, AUTHORS, COPYING, README, grass63.tmp and
> REQUIREMENTS.html
> should I use this folder to prepare a redistributable package?

I don't think you need the grass63.tmp (don't even know why it's there),
  and the README and REQUIREMENTS.html are about compiling from source.
I think that for a binary package only AUTHORS, COPYING and GPL.txt are
necessary.

This said, if we start to officially distribute binary packages with the
libraries included, we also have to make the source code of all these
libraries (and obvioiusly of GRASS) available...

> 3) what about wx errors?

Glynn already answered this.

> I'm preparing a personal winGRASS + QGIS building guide (probably I will
> also add it to my thesis, as an additional document... I did it... I add
> it... just for the work I done...); if you want to give it a look and
> tell me if you find it interesting, even if it's still a WIP...
> http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html

I think it is very helpful. Could you please either integrate the
information into the Wiki or at least link to the page from the wiki ?

One question: when you rebuild gdal --with-grass, the configure output
still says "GRASS support: no". Is this normal ?

And would you be willing to make the entire package of binaries of the
build dependencies of GRASS available, in replacement of Paul's quite
old package ? I don't think he would mind...
Personally, I don't have the time to build this environment (although it
should be fairly quick with your instructions).

And do you want to take over the regular building of winGRASS packages ?
I have fallen behind the initially desired schedule of recompiling the
latest svn-tree once a week... This said, maybe a cron job could do the
trick...

Best wishes,

Moritz