[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 1

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jan 1 11:15:03 EST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:13 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

>> #12: gis.m->Help->About system doesn't work (launches another
>> gis.m instance)
>> ----------------------
>> +-----------------------------------------------------
>>   Reporter:  neteler  |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>>       Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
>>  Component:  default  |     Version:  unspecified
>> Resolution:           |    Keywords:
>> ----------------------
>> +-----------------------------------------------------
>> Comment (by cmbarton):
>>
>>  Replying to [ticket:12 neteler]:
>>> Clicking on 'About System' within the gis.m Help menu launches a
>>> new set
>>  of gis.m windows instead of opening a tcl/tk window with system
>>  parameters. The newly created gis manager toolbar says "Tk System
>>  Information".
>>>
>>> PS: moved here from
>>  http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?
>> func=detail&atid=204&aid=553&group_id=21
>>
>>  Is this function worth the trouble of trying to fix?
>
> This is just a symptom of a larger problem, namely that the Gm::errmsg
> procedure is defined in gm.tcl, which cannot be "source"d (because
> doing so will "run" gis.m).
>
> Gm::errmsg belongs in a "library", i.e. a Tcl source file which can be
> "source"d from other Tcl source files.
>
> Also: gm.tcl calls Gm::errmsg from top-level code at the beginning of
> the file (the code which copies various g.gisenv settings into $env),
> although the procedure isn't actually defined until much later in the
> file. If any of those "catch" statements actually catch an error, the
> handler will throw an error due to Gm::errmsg being undefined.

Making a library and moving Gm::errmsg to it is pretty easy to fix
(just a LOT of find/replace throughout the GUI code). Anything else
that you know of should come out of gm.tcl and into such a library?

However, making the 'get system info' function work is more trouble.
As I said in the rest of the post, it's very old code. Is it worth
bothering with to have the GUI launch a window with a bit of minimal
system info?

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity