[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] measuring line sinuosity in GRASS

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sun Jan 13 07:06:13 EST 2008

On 04.01.2008 17:32, Duffy, Garret wrote:
> Hi GRASS-grazers,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone out there has a script or has done any sinuosity
> measurements on vector lines?

Hi Garret,

I don't really have a script, but thought it would be a logical thing to
add to the v.to.db module.

> I have a map with a number of quasi-parallel vector lines and I would
> like to do sinuosity measurements (line length divided by node-to-node
> straight-line distance) on each line separately.  I guess the ideal
> output would be the same vector map but now with the sinuosity attribute
> attached to each line.

I suppose you mean line length divided by the distance of the end nodes.
That is at least what I have implemented.

> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

I have added the option=sinuous to the v.to.db module, as it would be
annoying at least to do it by hand or by script. To do it you'd first
have to use v.to.db option=length, and then v.to.db option=start and
v.to.db option=end Then do an update which would do the calculation. And
if you use the DBF engine (which can't do [advanced] arithmetics), well
then you'd have to do a select to get the values and then an update with
the value calculated in the script.

Anyway, I have just committed changes to the SVN, and so maybe it will
be merged to the next release?

Anyway I've attached the diff for your convenience. I hope you enjoy it :)

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>