[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 30

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jan 13 18:45:31 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 3:06 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:35:24 +0100
> From: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Python GUI requirements
> To: "William Kyngesburye" <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
> Cc: Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com>,	GRASS developers list
> 	<grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> 2008/1/13, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com>:
>>  From what I could figure out about configure and make for GRASS
>> Python:
>>
>> --with-python enables wxpython.  See gui/Makefile.
>>
>> The swig bindings are manually built -- see the note in swig/
>> makefile.  And they don't appear to have any connection with --with-
>> python.
>
> I added --with-wxpython option to configure script. wxPython requires
> --with-python, also checks for python version >= 2.4 and wxpython >=
> 2.8.
>
> Martin
>
>> On Jan 13, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Maris Nartiss wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> current trunk ./configure --help says that --with-python will enable
>>> Python support (Python bindings?). Still I don't see any switch to
>>> enable/disable wxpython. Shouldn't there be one?
>>>

>>> Maris.
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
>> least suited to do it."
>>
>> - A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Currently, the wxPython GUI needs a separate installation of Python
and wxPython. I don't think the Python SWIG interface makes any
difference to the GUI (or does it do something with the digitizing
module?). So what does this switch do?

Ultimately, I suppose we'll move to building this with runtime/
compiled versions so that users of prebuilt binaries don't have to
install Python and wxPython. In the meantime, I don't understand the
point of the switch.

Michael