[GRASS-dev] cvs>svn?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:45:12 EST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Hamish wrote:
> > Martin Landa wrote:
> > > BTW it would be great to start migration webpages to Drupal. AFAIU
> > > we are waiting for LDAP-Drupal synchronization(?).
>
> Paul:
> > Would that mean updates to the website would have to be done through
> > a web-based interface? I'm not sure I'm keen on that. When making a
> > change to the website it's good to be able to grep to see where the
> > thing you are changing is mentioned, and change all occurences.

This is an important downside to using a CMS like Drupal. A global find /
replace is not easily implemented by default. It may be possible to add this
functionality through a 3rd party module.

> Before supporting a move to Drupal I would still like to see prototypes
> of the GRASS frontpage, download page, and since it's already begun the
> screenshots page implemented. How will the final product look?
>
> Markus:
> > http://grass-dev.osgeo.net
>
> One thing I think is critical is that the changes are monitored in some
> sort of SCM with change history including author, date, and commit log
> message. Does drupal give access to change history?

I think that it is possible to have revisioned edits with Drupal, possibly
after enabling some module.

> Personally I prefer the exactitude of the 'vim' + raw html approach,
> and don't like presenting a blog-like page style for a project
> homepage. But I look forward to seeing what the Drupal prototype will
> look like, or 3rd party examples, and hope my worries can be relieved.

Here is an example of a user-powered Drupal site. There are a couple of
add-ons present for pretty-printing code snippets, etc. I would be happy to
comment on any other Drupal related questions.

> Having said that I am all for lowering barriers to entry to allow more
> helpers to contribute. But raw HTML is not very hard, and Markus's nice
> CSS setup ensures a consistent and pretty look.

I felt this way too. Although, now I am starting to like the ability to easily
define a pile of terms which can be used to index / cross-reference / sort
pages on a Drupal site. This allow rapid navigation by concept rather than
static navigation approaches commonly used on web pages.

It would be good to experiment a bit with the new Drupal site, and if it is
not suitable we can always switch to something else.

Cheers,

Dylan

> Hamish

Dylan Beaudette