[GRASS-dev] convert 3D polygons or Tins to a DEM?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 21 13:59:44 EST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 4:22 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I guess wouldn't be so complicated to add support also for faces
>>> (and
>>> 3d lines in general) to v.to.rast... I can try take a look.
>>
>> just idea,
>>
>> tin ->
>>
>> v.to.points -n
>> v.clean tool=rmdupl
>> v.surf.* -> dem
>
> well, this would only give an approximation AFAIK.

that is right - if you want to preserve the triangle facets in the TIN
you need to do linear interpolation using the 3 points of each
triangle facet
and you get something like this
(this is TIN converted to raster in some old version of Arc)

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/interp/F1b.gif

If you convert to points and run interpolation or approximation
you can get various surfaces e.g. this

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/interp/F1c.gif
or this
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/interp/F1f.gif

although for some applications the interpolated surface is preferable
to get rid of various artifacts created by TIN and create a
continuous surface,
there are applications that include designed features and structures
where
TIN was used in the design and you need to preserve the breaklines
defined by the TIN.

I am not sure whether this should be part of v.to.rast - maybe a
separate
module (v.surf.linear) that would also compute the slope and aspect
map for each facet would be more appropriate,

Helena