[GRASS-dev] GRASS-6.3.0RC4 Windows Native Binary (MSYS) Build Errors

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Thu Jan 24 06:22:27 EST 2008

Hi List,

I'm new here. I started last week to face the "Build GRASS on Windows" problems. I never used MinGW & MSYS Enviroment, while I experienced ANSI C programming about 12 years ago (my first @ engineer university!) then never used anymore. Now I'm trying to resume some knowledges...

I built grass-6.3.0RC4 in MinGW and MSYS Enviroment using source code from http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass63/source/grass-6.3.0RC4.tar.gz <http://mailstore.rossoalice.alice.it/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass63/source/grass-6.3.0RC4.tar.gz>

Reading the error log I tried to look for the reasons of that errors.
First I checked out /imagery/i.class build errors. It seems to be generated by lack in MinGW of SIGSTP and SIGALRM signal definitions in mingw/include/signal.h
I added those signals to signal.h as follows:

#define SIGTSTP 18 /* Stop Request by Terminal */
#define SIGALRM 13 /* Alarm Signal */

But recompiling it gives an error because of the lack of alarm() function in MinGW.

Similar errors come out from building other modules. The problem is due to the lack in MinGW of some Standard POSIX system calls to active processes; functions like alarm(), fork(), wait() and other of the same "group" are not supported in MinGW.
I think that a way to solve the problem could be to include MinGW windows API libraries and use, instead of alarm()...., equivalent functions supported by win API.

What do you think about?

Thanks,

Marco