[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] v.coordinate.sh - improve this

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jan 27 00:58:15 EST 2008

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:14:18 +0100
> From: Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] v.coordinate.sh - improve this
> script?
> To: Luca Casagrande <luca.casagrande at gmail.com>
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org, Michael Barton
> <michael.barton at asu.edu>, GRASS developers list
> <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> Luca Casagrande píše v Pá 25. 01. 2008 v 13:34 +0100:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I have started studying python more deeper for using it in pyWPS
>
> cool, we need more people :-) We have to move to WPS 1.0.0, so I'm
> looking forward to see your code ;-)
>
>> and
>> for creating new Qgis modules (with QT).
>> Just for knowing, is there any reason for using wxWindow instead of Qt
>> for the new GUI?
>> is it a matter of license?
>>
>> Thank you very much
>>
>> Luca
>
> As others were mentioning before me, it was discussed several times ago.
> When I started to experiment with Python GUI in GRASS, I took Gtk,
> because of I simply liked it. Then Michael started to experiment, mainly
> on Mac OS and wxWidgets seemed the best choice for him. Others were not
> complaining. When we asked around, how the best approach should be, we
> were told to use Java :-(
>
> Maybe next GRASS GUI will be Qt :-) But the current (wxWidgets-based)
> should be here at least as long, as the Tcl/Tk was.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Jachym

A couple of other historical tidbits. When we started planning for the new
GUI, QT still had licensing issues on Windows (solved now I think) and GTK
lacked a Mac native version (still a problem AFAIK).

With wxPython, we got the richness of the wxWidgets platform with the
familiarity and ease of programming for Python. For the record, I'd never
heard of it before starting the research and open discussion of a next
generation GUI platform.

So far, it's been quite good. As Jachym says, it will probably have a pretty
long life cycle in GRASS--especially if people start creating Python
scripts. Like Jachym, I've very happy to hear that you are learning Python
too. Unlike TclTk (and maybe QT), I think we'll have a pretty good group of
Python programmers for GRASS.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity