[GRASS-dev] graphing and histograms in Python GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jan 28 02:05:31 EST 2008

In order to do histograms and other graphing in the new GUI, we might
want to think about using MatPlotLib.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

PyPlot in wxPython (requires numeric or numpy) is OK for line graphs
and scatter plots, but is not as nice with histograms. MatPlotLib can
do REALLY nice graphing. We'd need to decide if it was worth making
this a dependency. It's pure Python, so it should be pretty simple to
include (i.e., no compiling). It has a Python Software Foundation
license, which I think would be compatible with GRASS.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University