[GRASS-dev] Re: Line of Sight Update

Will willster3021 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:11:06 EDT 2008

Hi Paul (and the rest of the GRASS dev list),

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hello Will,
>
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Will wrote:
>
>  Hi Paul,
>>
>> That all sounds good.  I'll move r.terraflow and r.viewshed (I decided to
>> take up the r.viewshed name) into that iostream directory that you
>> mentioned.  Otherwise though, the code is working and ready to use.
>>

> That's great! I'm sure I can speak for the other developers in saying that
> we're very grateful that you continued to work on this even without the
> Google funding.

I am having a great time doing this work;   I am funded from an NSF  grant
that Laura has.  Hopefully I'll be able to get funding from Google next
summer and contine working with GRASS.

>  I just have a couple of questions about details of the output.
>>
>> Firstly, r.los has a lot of options, suchas observer elevation, curviture
>> of
>> the earth, and max distance to look at.  Do you still want all or some of
>> those in r.viewshed?
>>

> Max distance is IMHO only a requirement because of the extreme inefficiency
> of r.los, where limiting the calculation to a circular sub-region  can
> reduce the running time significantly. I think if r.viewshed performs well
> enough, it should be fine to leave it calculating the viewshed over the
> whole of the current region.

I agree that max distance was only really necessary since r.los is so
inefficient, and r.viewshed is fast enough to do whole maps quickly.  Just
to give a benchmark, a map that has ~1 million cells takes r.los ~30 min on
the machines we have here (Dual 2.5 GHz PPC processors, 1 GB RAM).  It takes
r.viewshed ~1.6 seconds.

> Observer elevation is a useful shortcut to have and especially relevant for
> radio masts etc. Do you have a default observer elevation in r.viewshed?

Observer elevation will not be too hard to implement, so I can put it in.
As of right now, the default observer elevation for r.viewshed is ground
level.  For r.los, the default value is 1.75- does anyone on the list have
an opinion on if I should make 1.75 the default for r.viewshed, or if it
should be a different value?

> Earth curvature calculation would seem to be important when covering a very
> large area, but I imagine it is not the simplest thing to add so it may not
> be necessary immediately. I must confess I have no idea how much of a
> difference it makes to the calculation, nor what is the threshold when it
> starts to become an important consideration. Perhaps someone else on the
> list can comment.

Looking at the r.los code, it doesn't seem to be too hard to put in
curvature, though like you I have no idea what effect it has or at what
threshold it becomes important.

It is done exactly the way you mentioned in the other email, finding the
radius of the elipsoid and reducing the elevatin of the cell that you are
looking at depending on the distance it is away from the viewpoint.  The way
r.los does it is they have a flag that you set if you want the curvature to
be considered, though I can impliment it for all calculations without a flag
if we think that will be better- any input from the list on this?

>  Secondly, r.los outputs a map that sets the value of each visible point to
>> the vertical angle (in degrees) required to see those cells.  Do you want
>> this for r.viewshed, or something else?  Right now, I just have it output
>> the elevation of the visible points, but that can always change.
>>

> Perhaps there could be multiple output options, e.g. (a) elevation of
> visible cell, (b) difference in elevation between observer and visible cell,
> (c) angle between observer and visible cell... I'm not sure on this though
> and again perhaps someone else has an opinion.

Whatever we think is best for the output, I will do, whether we decide on
one output format or multiple.

--
-Will