[GRASS-dev] Python script test

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jul 19 16:21:13 EDT 2008

I've done a Python version of the r.in.aster script I wrote some years
back as a test for me as to what is involved in porting scripts from
bash to Python. Since I started this, Glynn has suggested some changes
to the parser for Python scripts along with some convenience modules.
At least on my Mac, this script works very well with the existing
g.parser code.

This was both a bad and good script for me to start with. It turns out
that, unknown to me, recent updates to the script and gdal had made it
non-functional on the Mac. Until I learned of this and how to fix it
(thanks William Kyngesbury), I didn't know whether the problems I was
having were due to the underlying functions or to my Python code.

The good thing is that it was considerably easier to fix this in
Python than it might have been with bash. It was also easy for me to
update this script with some new and improved functionality.

My question is, would anyone like me to upload this someplace to test--
and possibly modify to try out Glynn's changes? I can put it into the
SVN for GRASS 7 or elsewhere.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity