[GRASS-dev] New module: r.grow.distance

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 19:10:09 EDT 2008

Glynn:
> I have added a new module, r.grow.distance, which generates a map
> where the value of each cell is the distance to the nearest non-null
> cell in the input map (similar to r.cost with a constant cost, except
> that you get real circles rather than approximations).

ie better than r.cost's knight's move / octagon. (?)

> Suggestions for a better name are welcome; r.distance was
> already taken.
>
> Unlike r.buffer, it doesn't require loading the entire
> map into memory, so (in conjuction with r.recode) it may also be
> useful as an alternative to r.buffer for large maps.

When I get back (in a couple of weeks) I'll give it a try to see how it does with my v.surf.icw script (IDW interp but with distance term as (AFAIU) r.grow.distance does it)

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/vector/v.surf.icw

thanks, it look interesting.

Hamish