[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jul 24 12:51:29 EDT 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> Glynn, one thing I hack around right now in the OSX app makefile is
>> setting the tcltk version, so I can set the right wish binary and
>> package tcltk files in the GRASS bundle.  Could some logic be added
>> configure to detect the tcltk version and add it to platform.make (ie
>> TCLTKVER)? (who handles configure changes these days?)
>
> configure already determines the Tcl/Tk version from the headers, in
> order to locate the libraries (which may be named e.g. tcl8.4.so or
> tcl84.so).
>
> The result is stored in the shell variables tcltk_ver and tcltk_ver2
> (the latter doesn't have the dot), but currently these aren't
> substituted into Platform.make.
>
> I could add some AC_SUBST() calls for those. Or you could just iterate
> through a list of plausible names (wish, wish85, wish8.5, ...) until
> you find one. GRASS_WISH doesn't need to be the same version which is
> used for NVIZ, v.digit etc.
>
> In fact, using the version may be counter productive; e.g. you could
> have libraries/headers for native 8.5, but wish85 might be an X11
> version. Also, the executable sometimes has a suffix (e.g. wish84g),
> but TK_VERSION doesn't.

The main focus of this is the bundling step in the OSX app makefile.
To make sure that the configured tcltk is available to nviz, and to
avoid confusion with the system tcltk at runtime (which is where
Michael was having problems), I bundle tcltk into the app package.  I
thus need to know the version for copying tclsh, wish, the library and
tcl library folder, all of which have the version in the name, and by
default tcltk doesn't install unversioned symlinks.

I currently have 8.4 hardcoded in the makefile, with an external shell
variable to change it to 8.5 if desired.

Hmmm, I see one possibility - check the configured tclConfig.sh,
though strangely that doesn't install with execute perms... says
something about being "included" by extension configure scripts... I
can grep it I suppose... I'll try that.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy