[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jul 24 16:46:30 EDT 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> The main focus of this is the bundling step in the OSX app makefile.
>> To make sure that the configured tcltk is available to nviz, and to
>> avoid confusion with the system tcltk at runtime (which is where
>> Michael was having problems), I bundle tcltk into the app package.  I
>> thus need to know the version for copying tclsh, wish, the library
>> and
>> tcl library folder, all of which have the version in the name, and by
>> default tcltk doesn't install unversioned symlinks.
>
> Ugh; I really think Tcl/Tk should be a separate package.
>
> If there are Tcl/Tk packages available from third parties, I think
> that you should just point people to one of them. If there aren't,
> then provide one, and we can put it on the GRASS site (we already
> provide a Tcl/Tk package for Cygwin, as Cygwin's version is broken).

There is at least one maintained Tcltk Aqua - ActiveTcl.  But there
are no X11 Tcltk binaries.  Tcltk is simple enough to build on OSX,
and someone would have to maintain a package if hosted on the GRASS
site (I'm possibly a little overextended on packaging). Build
instructions are included in the GRASS OSX build readme.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro