[GRASS-dev] Re: problem with CheckForWx in wxGUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jul 27 15:49:41 EDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/7/27 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>>>   File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
>>> python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in
>>> <module>
>>> ImportError: No module named _core_
>>>>>>

>>> Note, it is checking for _core.py.
>>
>> No it isn't. Look at the error message:
>>
>>       ImportError: No module named _core_
>>
>> It's looking for a module name _core_ (with a trailing underscore).
>> This is the binary extension (_core_.so on Linux). It should be in
>>
>> The files listed in the backtrace are the Python files which were
>> being executed at the point that the error occurred. The backtrace
>> always refers to the .py files even if .pyc or .pyo files are
>> actually
>> used.
>
> Michael, please check your wxPython installation (Robin Dunn's answer
> [1]). There's no reason why the statements below should fail
>
> import wxversion
> wxversion.select('2.8')
> import wx
>
> Regards, Martin
>
> [1] http://lists.wxwidgets.org/pipermail/wxpython-users/2008-July/077618.html

This finally worked.

I've been following all the wxpython install/uninstall instructions to
no avail. I looked at Robin's email responses you forwarded to me, but
didn't see this one some how. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I'm glad you've had better luck with responses than I have. I've
reported a couple of well-documented bugs with the Mac version.
Eventually I got work-arounds or solutions for some of these, but it
took several months. I just figured that the development team was
overloaded.

The issue is that now wxpython is supposed to be installed in a
different place on disk than it has been up through 2.8.7.1. The
install routine will not install into this new location unless you
manually remove all prior versions. Otherwise, it will install into
the prior location completely correctly, but giving bogus errors when
you run wxversion. Nor does the wxpython uninstall remove the old
location. So there is a problem in the wxpython installation routine.
I don't know if this also affects Windows or just the Mac. But it will
affect everyone on Macs who upgrade.

Michael