[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Jul 27 16:00:46 EDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> -framework is like -L, but for frameworks - yes, a linker flag only.
>
> AFAICT, it's like -l rather than -L.

Right.  I was thinking of -F.

> Are you sure that it doesn't work for PrivateHeaders; this suggests
> otherwise (under the documentation of -F):
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/gcc.1.html

Ah.  It's been a while since looking at docs for the -F flag.  Bits of
info get lost in my brain due to lack of use.

> If it does work for PrivateHeaders, I would suggest using the
> framework syntax for the headers (then, -F should work for both the
> libraries and headers).

Or -F would not be needed at all using one of the default paths:

TCLINCDIR =
TKINCDIR =
TCLTKLIBPATH =
TCLTKLIBS = -framework Tcl -framework Tk

We would need a flag in platform.make saying that we're using
framework headers, so they'll get properly included in GRASS sources.

#ifdef TCLTKFRAMEWORK
#include <Tk/tk.h>
#else
#include "tk.h"
#endif

>>> It's still meaningful if OpenGL is disabled.
>>>
>> If linking tcltk is only for NVIZ, then tcltk should match the opengl
>> setting.  The tcltk framework is always aqua, you can't build tcltk
>> x11 as a framework.
>
> Tcl/Tk isn't only for NVIZ. v.digit and the form library also link
> against it.

Got it.  Until I forget from lack of memory excercise.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy