[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 10 01:04:47 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
>> > Any final comments before the entire source tree is
>> > reformatted?
>>
>> Any thoughts on keeping the inter-branch svn merge effort low?
>
> Don't merge?
>
> Eventually, 7.x and 6.x are going to diverge by more than just
> formatting.

As suggested earlier: we re-indent both and the problem is solved
(agreed that 7.x and 6.x are going to diverge way more in the
future).

> Anyone who wanted to comment on the formatting should probably have
> done so in the month since this thread was started.

Right.
Question: why don't we go ahead and just do it?

Procedure:
Server-side:
- announce date/time of "indent" code reformatting
- publish the final parameter set
- run on 7.x.trunk, submit
- run on 6.4.branch, submit

You local SVN copy:
- DONT UPDATE YET but run
    svn status
- files with local uncommitted changes ("M") need to be treated
   with the indent command on the *unsubmitted* changed files
   to avoid later update conflicts
- *then* update from SVN to re-sync with "svn update"

Makes sense? Can we go ahead?

Markus